MOVI not working with ESPDUINO-32

Has anyone tried and or had success getting the MOVI to work with the ESPDUINO-32, which is essentially and ESP32. It has similarities to the Arduino UNO as far as pins matching but it also has an ESP-WROOM-32 WiFi module w/Bluetooth. The project I am working on requires wireless communication with another ESP8266. When I mount the MOVI to the ESPDUINO the MOVI boots up successfully but when I issue the command from LightSwitch Example the MOVI beeps but does not turn on LED on pin13/ nor does it respond with …and there was light. I also cannot compile the LightSwitch example sketch using the ESP-32 Dev Module board, which is what I use for other sketches and they work. It just doesn’t like the movie shield library for some reason.

Did you ever get your MOVI working with the ESPDUINO-32? I’m asking because I’m intending to interface a MOVI (that I have ordered) to my ESPDUINO-32. I’m sure others would be interested in how you solved it… Thanks!

That’s funny you should ask. I am working on this as I type! I was successful in getting MOVI to work with the ESP-01s and it works perfectly. I wanted to circle back to see if I could now get MOVI to work with the ESPDUINO-32 because it would simplify the physical setup of the components(less wires and the extra wireless shield). I will certainly let you know if I have success with this because I have spent hours on trying to get the pins to jive.

I have figured out a portion of this. I now have the MOVI working (communicating) with the ESPDUINO-32 with the basic LightSwitch sketch. Since the pin mappings are different on the ESPDUINO (i.e. IO18 is essentially D13, etc, etc.) compared to the UNO and what the MOVI shield would expect. So for instance changing the const int led = 13; to const int led = 18; would allow the led to work in the LightSwitch sketch; if only I could make the serial communication work. I modified the MOVIShield.h section for the following:
#define ARDUINO_RX_PIN 10
#define ARDUINO_TX_PIN 11
To:
#define ARDUINO_RX_PIN 5
#define ARDUINO_TX_PIN 23
The basic lightswitch sketch works but I am still working on the most important part and that is getting the wireless to work like it does with the ESP-01.
I’m close!

Hi John…haven’t gotten my MOVI board yet, but this link might help you on the pin-outs for the ESPDUINO-32. Do-It made an ESPDUNIO-32 and this a tech page on their board…hope it helps you. I’ll get on it as soon as my board comes in…

https://developer.atmosphereiot.com/documents/hardwareselection/espduino32.html

Thanks for that info. I have the MOVI communicating with the ESPDUINO per my last post but then ran into a problem not being able to get the wireless to work on the ESPDUINO. Go figure! Did you say you have the ESPDUINO and have you had success with getting it to actually connect to a wireless network? I can run the scan for wireless networks sketch and it sees the networks and I’ve tried two of these boards. This has put the brakes on me going any further with this board, unfortunately.

I haven’t tried working on my ESPUINO-32 board yet since I won’t be home until next week to start on it. I have done a bit more research though and maybe this github link might be of help?:

Thank you for that info, however my board is a little different and pins are labeled as IO rather than D. Like this one: https://github.com/SmartArduino/SZDOITWiKi/wiki/ESP8266---ESPduino-32
I have two of these and not one of them connects to WiFi, but that isn’t a MOVI issue. I have a fully working scenario using and UNO R3, MOVI and ESP8266 like this:

but I wanted to eliminate the need for an extra device and use the ESPDUINO with MOVI only. Let me know if you get yours to work as I might get a different ESPDUINO.

I have the MOVI shield working with ESPDUINO-32. The issue I was having with getting it to connect to wireless was strangely enough a router issue. I do not have these issues with the ESP8266s but I wanted to trim the number of devices to make my project work and I can always fall back on the working ESP8266 solution. The fix to get these to communicate was again as I mentioned above to change the port mappings in the MOVIShield.h file:
#define ARDUINO_RX_PIN 10
#define ARDUINO_TX_PIN 11
To:
#define ARDUINO_RX_PIN 5
#define ARDUINO_TX_PIN 23

Hey John, glad to hear you got it working. I’m still away and can’t get to my project for a couple more weeks…but it’s good to know it’s compatible. Tim

Have you had any success with getting the MOVI shield to work with your ESPDuino? I thought I had this working but when I use WiFi client to communicate from the ESPDuino to another WiFi shield the ESPDuino crashes on boot. It seemed to work but now does not. I’m curious as to whether the ESPDuino you have with the pins labeled as D10, D11 and so on make any difference and maybe I need to get a different ESPDuino. Mine are listed as IO5 and IO23.

Can you share your solution to get the ESP32 type devices working with the Movi?

I’m trying to add a ESP32+MOVI to my wireless project, but right now the ESP32 crashes as soon as it tries to initialize the Movi.

I have it expecting Serial1 and made changes in the .h .cpp files to use hardware serial. That doesn’t seem to work at all.

Ultimately, this ended up being an overall bust. It would have been nice to be able to use this all inclusive ESP32 but after hours and hours of trial and failure I came to the conclusion that this module just doesn’t play nice with the MOVI. I went back to the original solid working solution of using the ESP8266 shown above.
Hope this helps!