Playing a sound through MOVI (working with the SD card)

Hello,

I would like to play a sound, but I am worried that I’ll mess up the SD card. Is using a Mac to do this easy and safe?
Thanks

I am using a Mac… :wink:

Here is a safe way to do it:
Use a microSD adapter that can write lock. Write lock the adapter. Now, there is a hardware barrier that makes sure that nothing can be written onto the SDcard. Insert the read-only SDcard into the Mac. You should see a partition that is called “MOVI Update”, is empty, about 100MB and has FAT filesystem. That’s the intersting partition.

Depending on what filesystem drivers you have installed, you might also see other partitions like “MOVI root” and “MOVI boot”. At this point, unmount the entire SDcard.

If everything went as described above, take the card out, remove the write lock and put your sound file on the “MOVI Update” partition. Unmount the entire SDcard and put it back into MOVI.

Hope that helps,
Gerald

Thank you. I’ll have to get one of those adapters. Hopefully, everything will be fine.

I can not see the update folder when i enter to the SC card

Which operating system? Try a different one…

where do you put the wav files on the sd card for movie to play?

It’s all in the manual:

“The sound files need to be placed on the update partition and the low-level command PLAY
will take any path relative to the root directory of that update partition. For example, PLAY
test.wav will play the file test.wav on the update partition. PLAY test/1.wav will play
the file 1.wav located in the directory test on the update partition.”

However, if you are using Windows you will likely have issues accessing the Update partition. If this is the case, I recommend getting some removable media (DVD-R, USB Thumb Drive, etc.) and creating a self-contained bootable Ubuntu media. That way you can just temporarily boot into Ubuntu, do what you need to do, shut it down, and boot back to Windows.

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/try-ubuntu-before-you-install#1-getting-started

how do you add MOVI Upate to the sd card?

You don’t need to add it, it is already there. Microsoft Windows just cannot see it. Use a Mac or download the “Try Ubuntu before you install it” link I pasted above and boot into that temporarily to access the MOVI Update partition.