ReSpeaker Far Field Microphone Array

Love the MOVI.

Was wondering if something like the SeedStudio ReSpeaker would work with the MOVI ?

This is a USB MIc array of course so no way to directly interface with MOVI - any ideas on how to pull this off ? Or if there is a better Far Field Microphone Array that connects directly to the MOVI (without needing attenuation) that would work ?

I basically want something that would allow me to walk around my house and talk to the MOVI from almost anywhere.

In reading the specs for the ReSpeaker it has an audio out jack - I would assume based on the other threads, that I could use an attenuator to drop the audio signal down to the normal electret millivolt levels ?

And this from another thread here seems like it would work ?

If you find a way to beamform the n-mic signal to a mono signal, it will work extremely well. We have experimented with microphone arrays in the early days of MOVI and it worked as promised.

I’ve tried a couple of mic arrays and they don’t appear to work much (if any) better than the internal mic or a single, close-in external mic, or a rotary dial phone.

Granted I still have some more things to try, but my experience has been that whether or not the MOVI recognizes / responds has more to do with the words you use & training & room noise levels than the mic itself. For me so far the phone mic has seemed to work the best - I think because you are so close to the mouthpiece that noise levels are reduced and the distance is short compared to any other mic setup.

I still have more work to do on this but what I am planning on doing is using some German rotary dial phones - this is the one I have

I actually have Alexa but it only does some things well so the plan is to have a phone based MOVI system for internal control stuff - for example I’m building ten 10-outlet SSR boxes that I run off canbus and eithernet - the MOVI will be one of the ways to control those. And an inventory system. Then Alexa for the external stuff - by far the best use of Alexa so far is to call my kids - I can talk to both of them as if they are in the room - when the internet is working well its much better than a cellphone.

Most of the ‘assistant’ type systems like in the link, use external connections to the internet for processing - MOVI does not and that is a huge plus for me as I have both security concerns and the internet here is pretty spotty - so those are a non-starter for me. Not to mention all the young people seem to have this ingrained idea that an internet connection is always there and never ever will stop working in the future. Things break - far better if you do reduce external reliance as much as possible to begin with, IMO.